Bringing Young People Together Through Scouting


Ambassador’s note -- Today’s guest blogger is Embassy Political Section Chief Tamir Waser, an Eagle Scout and longtime participant in scouting activities in the United States, who had the honor of helping open the “Simply Scouting” camp last week at Borocko Jezero.

Tamir Waser, an Eagle Scout
Boy Scout summer camp was an important event in my yearly calendar when growing up in the US.  The week we spent there each summer was an opportunity to make new friends, work on scout skills, and enjoy the outdoors.  When we drove into the scout camp near Borocko Jezero a few days ago, all those memories came flooding back.  There was the flag pole and assembly area, canvas tents, activity areas and dining spaces that could just as easily have been at Camp Chawanakee in the Sierra Nevada mountains in California.    And when they handed me the camp neckerchief, I was amazed at how natural it seemed to roll it in proper fashion and tie a square knot to hold it in place. 


Scouts from Prnjavor, Prijedor and Zenica in BiH and from Bajna Basta and Prijepolje in Serbia had come together for a program called “Simply Scouting,” an interethnic camp that the Embassy was proud to sponsor through our interethnic grant funds.  As I spoke with this diverse group of young people, I was struck by how their hopes for the camp sounded like what my friends and I would have said at our camps.  They wanted to meet new people, work on scout skills, and spend a week enjoying the outdoors.  I talked with these scouts about the lessons I learned as scout – how to be a leader, how to plan, and most importantly, how to find the value that each person can bring to the group.  Scouting exposed me to people of different religions, ethnicities and color and helped me realize that differences can be strengths.  It was great to see these scouts coming from different ethnic groups, cities, entities and countries working together and building friendships.  I am confident that they will look back fondly on their ten days in the “Simply  Scouting” program in future years and use the lessons and friendships from there to build a better future for this country and region.

Comments